Friday, August 3, 2012

My review of Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park"





Warning: This review contains spoilers


Although I've thoroughly enjoyed other books by Jane Austen, this is the first time I've read "Mansfield Park."

I was riveted from the first page. I seriously had a hard time putting this book down, so utterly captivating and engaging was the story.

The book shows how, although morals and mores have changed drastically since the early 18-hundreds, basic human nature has changed not at all...and Ms. Austen had a laser-sharp grasp on it, and how to unerringly depict it.

I loved Fanny, and wanted her to be able to claim her deserved status as well as the man she loved.

****SPOILER ALERT****


This is from the movie...in the book, no such scene is depicted


The one thing in which I was disappointed was how the ultimate union of Edmund and Fanny was almost anticlimactic. They didn't even get a "reveal" scene in which Edmund could tell Fanny that he had been an idiot and it was Fanny he had really loved all along, and that they could at least share a heartfelt kiss and/or embrace.

The closest we get to any such scene is when Edmund comes to get Fanny from Portsmouth, and he clutches her to his heart.

I would have loved to have seen Edmund's feelings for Fanny be revealed to him gradually and culminate in a joyful scene of realization.

But that isn't enough to ruin the book for me. It was a truly enjoyable read, and a triumph for anyone who has experienced unrequited love.

3 comments:

Becky said...

You might be interested in reading Edmund Bertram's Diary by Amanda Grange! I read it earlier this week and it was so lovely!!!

Gigi Ann said...

I just finished "Edmund Bertram's Diary," by Amanda Grange, and just posted my review, and I must say I enjoyed it. It was like a two day visit to Mansfield Park.. all over again. This month my reading theme is Jane Austen, anything about, by, or relating to her. I am enjoying these other viewpoints that others have of her books.

English Lady said...

I may be wrong' but the movie version of Mansfield Park from which the Picture comes included graphic sexual content, which was definately not in the book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...