Thursday, May 12, 2011

Do you only read books for your own age group?




Today I'm participating in Booking Through Thursday. The question is:

Do you read books “meant” for other age groups? Adult books when you were a child; Young-Adult books now that you’re grown; Picture books just for kicks … You know … books not “meant” for you. Or do you pretty much stick to what’s written for people your age?

Well, it depends.

As I've mentioned on this blog before, there are a few childhood favorites that I read over and over again--like the Chronicles of Narnia, Auntie Robbo, and Red Knights from Hy Brasil.

And whenever I get to spend time with my little grandsons I always read to them...sometimes from new books I've bought them, other times from their own books.

Otherwise, I really don't seek out children's books to read. I wouldn't buy or check one out just for me to read.

However...I have enjoyed several books aimed at young adults...most recently Operation Bonnet by Kimberly Stuart, and Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren. After all, a great story is a great story...and I've found that the best young adult books don't "talk down" to their readers at all.

As a child, I was rather precocious in my reading. I read a lot of the classics before I was ten years old--Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations, and others. I'm sure I didn't fully understand everything in them, but I formed an attachment to those books that has stayed with me throughout my life.

And although I've read and enjoyed my share of books about women in my time of life ("women of a certain age," as the French so delightfully put it), I certainly don't limit myself to that!

As I've said many times, my measure of a terrific book is one whose story keeps me turning the pages and whose characters I care about.

How about you?

Go here to participate in Booking Through Thursday!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Great answer. Here's mine:
http://nofiltermom.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_12.html

anthonynorth said...

Yes, the plot and characters are what make a good read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...